Sunday, April 1, 2012

Israel: Day 3

This is what I woke up to! The Sea of Galilee. It was beautiful!

We were headed to sail on the Sea of Galilee,
so I read passages that related to it.
Oh, ya know, WHILE I WAS LOOKING AT
THE SEA OF GALILEE.
Sorry, It still gets me. :)

The Sea has gone down quite a bit over the last 10 years.
Those boats used to be in water.



The Jesus Boat we sailed on!
That's really what they're called.
They're similar to what they found from Jesus' time
 (keep scrolling for that pic)

Reading about the Sea of Galilee
ON THE SEA OF GALILEE

It was hazy, but it almost helped me understand more.
Think about Matthew 22, and Jesus walking on this water.
Peter thought Jesus was a ghost, look through the haze and imagine.
We learned the Hava Nagila dance on the Sea of Galilee.
Matt, Hannah and Reed needed to freestyle afterwards :)


This is the Jesus Boat!
 They uncovered it under a bunch of mud in the 1980s.
It's held together with those bars, but it's still pieced together.


This is the Church of the Beatitudes
on, none other than the
Mount of the Beatitudes (Matthew 5)

Morgan and Me :)

These hills surround the Church of the Beatitudes.
They're untouched and it's easier to imagine
Jesus teaching on one of these hills
than the church.

This is Capernaum (as it's known in the English Bible)
It's most popular for being the home of
Peter's Mother-in-Law (and Peter).
It's been proven this is where Peter lived
 because there is a house with altars.
No home from that era has been found
like this one.
The Synagogue at Capernaum
 They went into Capernaum;
and immediately on the Sabbath
He entered the synagogue and began to teach.
Mark 1:21

Foundations of houses at Capernaum

St Peter's Fish (Tilapia)
I'm not a fish person, so I didn't even try it,
But poor Malachi didn't realize
it would come out like this.
He couldn't eat very much of it.

ISRAEL HUMMUS!!!!!!

This was the day Matt and Reed laughed like little girls ;)
This is the Church of St Peter's Primacy.
 One of my favorite places
So when they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of John, do you love (Agape-the love God has for mankind) Me more than these?” He said to Him, “Yes, Lord; You know that I (agape)love You.” He said to him, “Tend My lambs.” 16 He said to him again a second time, “Simon, son of John, do you love (Phileo-friendship) Me?” He said to Him, “Yes, Lord; You know that I love You.” He *said to him, Shepherd My sheep.” 17 He said to him the third time, “Simon, son of John, do you (Phileo)love Me?” Peter was grieved because He said to him the third time, “Do you (Phileo)love Me?” And he said to Him, “Lord, You know all things; You know that I (Phileo) love You.” Jesus said to him, Tend My sheep.
-John 21:13-17

Our resident Pastor (chaperone), Mr Bill explained that Peter knew that He could never love Jesus like Jesus loved him and it saddened him. I'd never thought about it in the terms of these Greek words.
These rocks were on the shore of the Sea of Galilee at
the Church of St Peter's Primacy.

Let's end the day with this picture.
Kelton here comes and knocks on my and Emily's door
after we'd gone to bed.
He said that he had cut his leg on a metal sign
outside in the courtyard,and he wanted peroxide.
I told him I didn't have any, but I did have acne pads.
So, he rubbed an acne pad all over his leg.
Apparently it burned quite a bit.
It was partially the fact that it was after 1AM, and
partially that he was shrieking as he was cleaning it,
but Emily and I thought it was SO funny.
Oh, Kelton...

-K

No comments: