Sunday, September 15, 2013

Social Media Sabbatical


Hello. My name is Kathleen, and I am a social media addict.

When I'm in class? Facebook.
Bored in chapel? Instagram.
Procrastinating on homework? Twitter and Pinterest.

This cycle repeats day in and day out. I estimate that I spend at least 3-4 hours a day on social media and I bet you do, too.

I attend LifeChurch.tv and the message that Pastor Craig Groschel preached today was centered around who your real friends are and the importance of having them build you up. Oddly enough, I did not learn much from this message, due to a statement he made in the first 5 minutes of his message. He stated that most of Americans check their Facebook first thing in the morning and right before they go to sleep. This is me....to a 'T'. He must be watching me in my daily life. 

This semester, I have told myself that I am entirely too busy to read my Bible or spend time praying. Who has time for that with classes and homework? I have time for Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. How ironic. 

Therefore, I have come to the realization that God is trying to get my attention off of the world and onto Him. I don't know how long I will stay off of social media, but I do know that right now, I need to focus on my relationship with God.
If you want to reach me, you can call or text me.

-K

No comments: